Salt Lake Marching and Chowder Club

 

 

Salt Lake Marching and Chowder Club                                                            Minutes 2/23/2016

Prepared by Lauren Smith

Attendees:
John Shannon, SLCMCC President: 

Charlotte Mates, SLCMCC Vice President: 

Lauren Smith, SLCMCC Secretary:

Carl Spitzmacher, SLCMCC Chief Researcher: 

Paul Cato, SLCMCC Sergeant at Arms: 

Steven Rimmer, Road Home resident: 

Andy Cier, local business owner: 


Sam Lavers, neighbor:

Minutes from last week were read and accepted

Treasurer’s report: $18.00

Action Items:

Brad Weischedel to work with Char Mates, Nate Rockwood and Paul Cato about getting together a needs assessment

There was a meeting 2/22/2016. Nate is typing up notes.

Is there a someone from Jackie Biskupski’s office who will come to our meetings?  Lauren Smith to follow up with Nate Salazar and Simone Butler to see if there will be a homeless representative hired in addition to the Homeless Service Coordinator, Liz Buehler.

Done. Waiting for replies.

Char Mates and John Shannon to follow up with Mr. Kelsch from the Weigand Center to get permission to use space on their campus for “Tools” project (“Tools” project is outlined on our website, slcmcc.org)

On hold until after St. Patrick’s Day parade. Proposal will be set up after parade.

Steven Rimmer to contact labor halls to find out which of their programs or classes are fastest and easiest. Local residents in the Rio Grande community could become employable quickly if they knew which programs were the best to enroll in and attend.

Done. They are looking for skilled laborers such as framers and concrete workers. Food handler’s permit and flagging classes are taught during the day and last for 1-2 hours.

Discuss possibility of a Slug Magazine podcast. Give action item to Andy Cier for next week. Steven Rimmer to possibly be the voice.

Done. Andy had several different discussions.

Interviews with previously homeless people. This type of podcast might be more hopeful to currently homeless individuals because they would be able to hear from others who have “been there”.

Interviews of social workers and case managers by homeless and/or formerly homeless people. These talks would be more authentic and helpful if they were written, recorded and produced by the people who are or have been receiving services.

Some sort of homeless youth resource center podcasts with a “story corps” like format would be interesting and useful.No new agenda items