Salt Lake Marching and Chowder Club

Salt Lake Marching and Chowder Club                                                            Minutes 7/13/2016

Minutes recorded and prepared by Fred Lorenz

Attendees:

John Shannon, SLCMCC President
Fred Lorenz, SLCMCC Secretary/Treasurer
Lauren Smith, SLCMCC Assistant Secretary

Bernie Hart, SLCMCC Member
Gloria Red Bear, Community Voice editor
Lydell Dennison, road home resident
Richard Sander, road home resident
Carlos Mateo, road home resident
Leeroy Taito, road home resident
Nikole MacDonald, road home resident
Richard Goldberger, News Editor/Concerned Citizen and SLCMCC Member

7/6/2016 Minutes read by Frederick Lorenz

Minutes accepted as read

Treasurer’s report - $17.00

RGHC report:



The group discussed some possible topics for Bernie Hart, the new RGHC police liaison, to discuss at upcoming meetings with the police.  The vice president is composing a written list of topics to pass along to Bernie.  The RGHC members are responsible for trying to educate the homeless to report crime.  The Homeless Against Narcotics meetings have moved to Thursdays at 1 PM.  Fred, Richard and Lydell are to work on promoting the meetings (Fred was going to produce business cards and Richard and Lydell are making a flyer).  Fred and Carlos have made a good start on the RGHC website and hope to have it completed soon.  Leeroy was at the meeting and discussed what has been going on at the lu’au.  It has been postponed until 31 July.  Flyers have been made up and are being distributed in the community.  The group discussed issues to bring up in a potential upcoming meeting with the Road Home leadership.  The vice president will compose a list of topics to discuss with them and will schedule the meeting.  Gloria mentioned that the bus passes might be available after 24 July.  Fred mentioned that he might know a donor for a printer for the RGHC newsletter.  Richard Goldberger, a concerned citizen, reiterated several interesting suggestions he had brought up in a prior meeting (on 7/6/2016) such as setting up a victim’s assistance taskforce in the Road Home and Library to assist victims of crimes in receiving their due benefits (basically, setting up a victim’s bill of rights) and closing down and repossessing “slumtels” (low-rate motels that typically harbor criminal activity) to use for housing the homeless.  It was decided that the RGHC should bring this topic up.  Richard Goldberger was to write up his thoughts (in a formal written statement) and the group was planning on signing the document.  It was determined that we need a liaison to the mayor’s office.  Richard joined the SLCMCC.  Some members of the group toured the 4th Street Clinic recently and received a very nice e-mail that reads as follows:

 

Dear Lauren - 

Thank you so much for joining us this morning at the Fourth Street Community breakfast. We enjoyed hosting you and hope that you found the information and tour informative and inspiring. Please let us know if we can answer any additional questions you may have. We appreciate your interest, time and support. 

Please give my thanks as well to your colleagues from the Chowder and Marching group. I hope that by learning more about what the Clinic provides, it will help your grassroots efforts and work with the homeless. 

Warm regards, 

Cindy 

Lucinda L Kindred 
Fourth Street Clinic 
(801) 949-0241


Action items:



Fred will look into getting a donated printer for the RGHC’s The Community Voice newsletter.

Done.  Printer arrived 18 July 2016.



Gloria to attend the “Meet the Candidates” meeting put on by Urban Crossroads Center.

Done.  Gloria will give a report on the event next meeting.

 

Fred, Richard and Lydell will begin aggressively promoting the Homeless Against Narcotics meeting that begin on Thursday at 1 PM at the Weigand Center.

Fred and Carlos will work on an RGHC website.  They hope to have it finished before the next meeting (7/20/2016).

Leeroy will continue preparing for the lu’au and will contact the group if he needs any assistance.  He will distribute the flyers to appropriate venues.  Fred and Carlos will prepare a written statement telling about the RGHC, who they are, what we have done so far and what we plan to do.  The statement will be read at the lu’au.  They hope to have it done before the next meeting (7/20/2016) so the group can comment on it.

The RGHC members will discuss what to issues to bring up to the Road Home leadership concerning conditions within, and crime occurring in, the Road Home.  This will be done by the next meeting (7/20/2016).  Once this is accomplished, aggressive attempts will be made to contact Road Home leadership about these issues (by Carlos), via e-mail, phone or, as a last resort, media-covered protest outside the Road Home itself.

Andy, who was not present at today’s meeting, plans to continue recording people’s stories for his podcasts.

David Litvack, from the Salt Lake City Mayor’s office, promised to contact the Office of Victims and Crime about Richard Goldberger’s suggestion to set up victim assistance task forces in the Road Home and Library and get back to us.  He is also going to provide us more information on nuisance abasement.  Finally, he wishes to assist in facilitating conversation between the homeless and the police.

Gloria will contact Fred after receiving the UTA monthly bus passes for distribution.  This won’t happen until sometime after 24 July 2016.

 

The RGHC members will discuss topics that they wish the new police liaison Bernie Hart to discuss with police in upcoming meetings.   This will be done by the next meeting (7/20/2016).  Carlos will prepare a written list of topics to Bernie by the next meeting.

 

Related to the last point, the RGHC will discuss methods on how they themselves can educate the homeless to report crimes and develop a strategic plan on how to move forward with this.   This will be done by the next meeting (7/20/2016).

 

Richard Goldberger will codify his thoughts in the form of a written statement and present it to the group for discussion and signing at the next meeting (7/20/2016).

 

The RGHC will discuss selecting a liaison to the mayor’s office.

 

No new agenda items: