Salt Lake Marching and Chowder Club

Salt Lake Marching and Chowder Club                                                            Minutes 8/3/2016

Minutes recorded and prepared by Fred Lorenz

Attendees:

John Shannon, SLCMCC President
Fred Lorenz, SLCMCC Secretary/Treasurer

Audrey Lorenz
Lauren Smith, SLCMCC Assistant Secretary
Bernie Hart, SLCMCC Member
Gloria Red Bear, Community Voice editor

Martin Sanchez, road home resident

Kathy Moreno, road home resident
Carlos Mateo, road home resident
Richard Goldberger, News Editor/Concerned Citizen and SLCMCC Member

Brian Watson, road home resident

Willy, road home resident

Willy’s sister (Nora Singh?), road home resident

Monica Mason, Road Home employee

Mike Young, Road Home employee

Hildegard Koenig, SLC mayor’s office

Moana Uluave, SLC mayor’s office

Andy Cier

7/27/2016 Minutes read by Frederick Lorenz

Minutes accepted as read

Treasurer’s report - $17.00

RGHC report:

The newsletter was discussed.  Specific mention was made of designing and printing it on our own.  Carlos suggested moving the printer to the HOST office at the Community Connection Center (which has been done).  It appears that Richard and Lydell are leaving the club, so it was briefly discussed what to do with the Narcotics Anonymous material that had been purchased for the meetings.  It was decided to hang onto the materials in case another opportunity comes up to run the meeting under a different group leader.  Fred continues to work on the website and finished posting a large amount of homeless resources.  The lu’au was briefly brought up and it was decided to wait until Tuesday’s meeting to discuss the lessons learned and future recruitment efforts.  Carlos invited some Road Home employees to come to our Wednesday meeting.  We expressed some of our concerns to them and asked about the proper way to file complaints at the Road Home.  We expressed our interest in speaking to a high level representative like James Woolf as opposed to voicing our complaints through intermediaries.  Mike and Monica expressed interest in coming to our Tuesday RGHC meeting.  We discovered through Hildegard that David Litvack contacted Richard Goldberger about his ideas, specifically the slumtels.  Evidently the mayor’s office and health department are looking into the matter.  Hildegard also mentioned that Wendy Isim, a victim advocate at the mayor’s office, will help victims of crime.  John announced a new committee to write the RGHC bylaws in preparation for starting a non-profit, to be headed by Fred.

Action items:



Fred will help Carlos and Gloria get the new printer setup so they can start printing the newsletter before the next meeting (8/10/2016).

Done. Brian and Carlos got printer working.  Printing of newsletter should begin soon.

 

Fred will continue to work on an RGHC website.  He hopes to have it closer to completion by the next SLCMCC meeting (8/10/2016).

Fred plans to verify and homeless resource information currently on the website and post new material by the SLCMCC meeting on 17 August 2016.  He also will update certain sections, like The Guardians program, as he begins thinking about and writing the organization’s bylaws.  He removed the link to The Homeless Experience program due to an issue brought up by Chris Croswhite from the Men’s Rescue Mission.



RGHC members will discuss the lessons learned from the lu’au and talk about future recruitment efforts at Tuesday’s RGHC meeting (8/9/2016).

 

Bernie will attempt to contact The Road Home leadership to set up a meeting for us.

Temporarily tabled now that we have Road Home representatives at our meetings.  Carlos will prepare a list of items we (the members of the RGHC) wish the Road Home to address for our representatives if they cannot schedule a meeting between us and the Road Home leadership (James Woolf in particular).  The RGHC wishes to discuss these items with a meaningful representative of the Road Home and, if the leadership expresses disinterest in correcting these matters, the RGHC will consider further actions.
Fred will bring up the “drug dog” idea with our Road Home representatives.



Andy plans to continue recording people’s stories for his podcasts.

Carlos will tell his story on or shortly after the next SLCMCC meeting (8/10/2016).



David Litvack, from the Salt Lake City Mayor’s office, promised to contact the Office of Victims and Crime about Richard Goldberger’s suggestion to set up victim assistance task forces in the Road Home and Library and get back to us.  He is also going to provide us more information on nuisance abasement.  Finally, he wishes to assist in facilitating conversation between the homeless and the police.  SLCMCC will interrogate Nate and Hildegard as to how this is coming along.

Hildegard is to let us know when David Litvack plans to return to our meeting.
Wendy Isim is supposed to come to our next SLCMCC meeting (8/10/2016).
 

The RGHC members will discuss topics that they wish the new police liaison Bernie Hart to discuss with police in upcoming meetings.   This is a continuing action item that will be brought up at each meeting.

John suggested that we may want to use HOST to contact the police given our new relationship with the CCC office.



Related to the last point, the RGHC will discuss methods on how they themselves can educate the homeless to report crimes and develop a strategic plan on how to move forward with this.

Tabled; to be discussed at a future RGHC meeting.



Fred will get in contact with Bernie about forming a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

Fred is in the process of doing research and will soon begin writing the bylaws to bring before the group for a vote at a future meeting.

No new agenda items: